Did you know that the Mesa Public Library is one of the most popular spots in the City? The numbers speak for themselves, last year, they had 1 million visits and 2.4 million checkouts.
September is National Library Card Sign-Up Month, a time when the American Library Association and libraries nationwide join to remind parents, caregivers and students that signing up for a library card is the first step towards academic achievement and lifelong learning.
During National Library Card Sign-Up Month in Mesa, current Mesa Public Library cardholders can exchange their old card for a newer design at no cost. The new design sports the Library’s new logo and salutes the past, present and future of Mesa Public Library.
New members can visit the Library with a photo I.D. and register for a card. Lost cards can be replaced for free during National Library Sign-Up Month, usually a two dollar charge, as long as there are no fines or fees on the account.
The American Library Association has produced several interesting facts about libraries:
- There are more public libraries than Starbucks in the U.S. – a total of 17,566 including branches. Nearly 100 percent of public libraries provide Wi-Fi and offer free access to computers.
- References librarians in the nation’s public and academic libraries answer nearly 6.6 million questions a week. Standing single file, the line of questions would span from Miami, Florida to Juneau, Alaska.
- Americans go to school, public and academic libraries more than three times as frequently as they go to the movies.
- Americans check out an average of eight books a year. They spend $36.96 a year for the public library, which is about the average cost of one hardcover book.
- Using an online calculator provided by the American Library Association, people visiting Mesa Public Library, downloaded 10,479 digital magazines last year. If the average magazine costs $4, library card holders saved more than $41,916 in 2017.
Mesa Public Library has four branches:
- Main Library, 64 E. First St.
- Dobson Ranch Library, 2425 S. Dobson Road
- Red Mountain Library, 635 N. Power Road
- Mesa Express Library, 2055 S. Power Road, Suite 1031
For more information about Mesa Public Library, visit www.mesalibrary.org.